Dave Cochrane is our Principal Optical Manufacturing Technician and a Master Optician. He has over 40 years of experience in all aspects of the optical manufacturing, optical coatings and opto-mechanical production and assemblies. As Team Leader, Optical Manufacturing, he is responsible for the delivery of numerous international astronomical projects. Special expertise in manufacture of large precision optical components.
Extensive software experience in: Zemax (Optical Design), Microsoft Project (project planning), Inteliwave (Interferometric testing)
2016 – Present KiwiStar, Optical Manufacturing Team Leader
1992 – 2016 Senior Technical Officer in charge of the Optical Workshop, Measurement Standards Laboratory, Industrial Research Limited.
1970 – 1992 Science Technician in the Optical Workshop of Physics and Engineering Laboratory, DSIR.
• 2016 Awarded the RASNZ, Murray Geddes Medal.
• Member, Steering Committee, Optics NZ Cluster.
• Six trips to Antarctica in conjunction with the FRST funded Sea Ice program.
Publications (1996 - present)
- “In situ measurement of catalyst tube emissivity by means of a portable solid integrating sphere”, P. Saunders, A. Trotter, H. Edgar and D. M. J. Cochrane, Measurement Science and Technology, 12, 622-626 (2001).
- “Study of TiOxNy thin film selection surfaces produced by ion assisted deposition”, A. Bittar, D. Cochrane, S. Caughley and I. Vickeridge, Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology A, 15 (2), 223-229 (1997).
- E. F. Howick, D. Cochrane, and D. Meier, “Using a co-ordinate measuring machine to align multiple element large optical systems” in PROCEEDINGS-SPIE vol. 6676
- “Manufacturing Status of the WEAVE PFC”. SPIE, June 2016, Emilie LHOME, D Cochrane